- Week 1: Overview of the MITI and MICA
Week 1 Webcast: Friday, January 21, 2022 from 12:00 - 1:15 PM ET
Recording Week 1
Slide Show: MICA
Slide Show: MITI
Video: The Rounder
Polling Scale: MICA
Quiz: Week One
- Week 2: Apply both the MITI and MICA to two MI-inconsistent motivational conversations
Week 2 Webcast: Friday, January 28, 2022 from 12:00 - 1:15 PM ET
Recording Week 2
Review: Rounder Video Coded Transcript
Video: Overuse of Directing
MICA Uncoded Transcript: Overuse of Directing
Video: Overuse of Following
MICA Uncoded Transcript: Overuse of Following
Quiz: Week Two
- Week 3: Apply both the MITI and MICA to two challenging motivational conversations
Week 3 Webcast: Friday, February 4, 2022 from 12:00 - 1:15 PM ET
Recording Week 3
Review: Overuse of Directing Coded Transcript
Review: Overuse of Following Coded Transcript
Uncoded Transcript: Janie Audio
Homework: Now I Only Wear Yoga Pants Audio
Transcript: Now I Only Wear Yoga Pants
Quiz: Week Three
Feedback Form: MICA
Feedback Form: MITI
- Week 4: Form feedback using both the MITI and MICA
Week 4 Webcast: Friday, February 11, 2022 from 12:00 - 1:15 PM ET
Recording Week 4
Review: Janie Coded Transcript
Review: Now I only wear yoga pants coded transcription
Quiz: Week Four
- Week 5: Co-facilitate a community of practice centered on coding and coaching
Week 5 Webcast: Friday, February 18, 2022 from 12:00 - 1:15 PM ET
Recording Week 5
Audio: Dr. Holtzapple
Uncoded Transcript: Dr. Holtzapple
Review: Dr. Holtzapple Coded Transcript
Quiz: Week Five
- Final Assignment
Instructions (Due 2/25/22):
Feedback Form: MICA
Feedback Form: MITI
Video: The Effective School Counselor
Transcript: The Effective School Counselor
Feedback Form Example: MICA
Feedback Form Example: MITI
- Course Wrap-Up
Certificate Request Form
Coding and Coaching: Using the Motivational Interviewing Treatment Integrity (MITI) and Motivational Interviewing Competency Assessment (MICA) Evaluation Tools: Winter 2022
Ready to take your Motivational Interviewing (MI) skills to the next level? Want to learn to evaluate motivational conversations and frame effective coaching feedback? Looking to integrate high yield observation and coaching into your communities of practice?
This fast-paced and highly interactive virtual workshop will introduce you to applying both the Motivational Interviewing Treatment Integrity (MITI) and Motivational Interviewing Competency Assessment (MICA) coding and coaching instruments to support your own and others’ MI skill development. The MITI helps identify utterances or behaviors inside the conversation, and the MICA focuses more on conversation flow. For evaluating your own and others’ conversations, as well as forming feedback, this course will help you use both instruments—and allow you to compare their relative usefulness for different needs.
Who Should Take this Course:
- Those who
- Have completed a recent introductory or advancing skills workshop in MI
- Want to improve their MI skills
- Want to help others improve their MI skills
- Are looking to strengthen an eventual application to the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT)
- Quality improvement and auditing professionals
- Key Leaders or Managers implementing MI
- Community of Practice leaders and members
As a result of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Label codes to utterances within a motivational conversation
- Label technical and relational global scores to a conversation
- Identify micro-skills in a conversation
- Rate strategies and intentions within a conversation
- Develop coaching feedback shaped by coding evaluations
- Identify ways to integrate coding and coaching into communities of practice
Meet the Instructor:
Ali Hall (JD) is a member of the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT) and an independent consultant and trainer. Ali has designed and facilitated more than 2,500 Motivational Interviewing workshops for health care practitioners, behavioral health clinicians, psychologists, psychiatrists, and criminal/juvenile justice professionals, and provides training for trainers in evidence-based practices. Ali offers MI coding and skill development coaching, and provides consultation to systems for effective MI implementation.
- Dates: Fridays, January 21 - February 18, 2022
- Time: 12:00 - 1:15 PM ET
- Location: Online Zoom meeting room
- Course type: Live interactive webinar
- 90 minute weekly live webcasts
- Roughly 35 minutes of weekly home study activities
- Participants will participate in weekly live webinars with the instructors. They will also have access to weekly readings, videos, and other actives on the learning page. They will be quizzed on the knowledge they learn from the live webcasts and learning activities every week to ensure understanding.
- Practice level: Intermediate, advanced
- CE credit:
- ASWB: 6 hours
- NAADAC: 6 hours
- NBCC: 6 hours
- Covered topics: Motivational Interviewing, coding and coaching, change talk, sustain talk, technical and relational global measures, behavior counts, evidence-based practice, EBP
- Fees: $325 (unless a basic or advanced subscriber)
- Date created: 2021
System Technology Requirements
Please ensure your viewing device complies with the following recommendations:
- Must be on a device that allows you to view MP4 files
- Ensure you have a strong enough internet speed to stream
- Ensure you don't have firewalls blocking the video (some firewalls block some HTTP addresses)
We will be using Zoom for the viewing of our live sessions. In order to have the best experience for Zoom, please download the application here: https://zoom.us.
Refund and Cancellation policy:
Access is automatically provided to this course once purchased. Therefore, no refund will be given. For special circumstances before the live sessions begin, C4 may cancel your registration and move your credit to another module of equal value or refund the course to the original source of payment.
Participants may earn a Certificate of Course Completion* by:
- Attending all five, live webcasts (or watching the entire recording of each live session) and completing all required learning activities
- Scoring 80% or higher on each weekly quiz
- Scoring 80% agreement on results of final assignment
- Completing the course evaluation form and the certificate request form
6 hours of continuing education credits will be awarded upon completion of this course through NAADAC. 6 hours of continuing education credits will be awarded upon completion of this course through NBCC and ASWB. Certificates will be emailed directly to requesting participants roughly two weeks after the successful completion of the final assignment.
*Please note that a certificate of completion is not a certification of proficiency in MI or MITI coding and coaching, and is not intended by C4 or the instructors to be represented as such. Currently, neither the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT) nor its members/contracting organizations can confer a certification of MI practitioner or coder competence or proficiency.
It is strongly recommended that you obtain additional resources following this course, including cultivating involvement in a skilled coding community, and identify a thoughtful protocol for establishing sustainable coding consistency prior to coding and coaching for the purposes of research and/or providing clinical supervision and coaching in the MI or MITI models.
If you need accommodations for disability, please contact C4’s Managing Director, Rachel Ehly, firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to fully complete this course and receive a continuing education certificate from one of the following boards, you must pass each of the five weekly quizzes with an 80% or higher (you will have unlimited retests) along with the final evaluation. The required posttest questions will be at the end of each week's section and the required evaluation will be provided at the completion of the course. Upon successful completion of this course, you can request a certificate using the certificate request form posted with the evaluation and on your learning page. C4 Innovations will then review your course completion and email you a certificate within 2-3 weeks in PDF format. If you are social worker, you will need to write in your license number in the certificate request form for us to be able to include it in your certificate.
C4 Innovations, Provider #1457, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. C4 Innovations maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 10/17/2020-10/17/2023. Social workers completing this course receive 6 continuing education credits.
C4 Innovations has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6576. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. C4 Innovations is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
This course has been approved by C4 Innovations, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #100990, C4 Innovations is responsible for all aspects of their programming.