The Motivational Interviewing (MI) Coding Lab offers advanced Motivational Interviewing skill building activities and helps you evaluate motivational conversations using evidence-based tools.
A skilled and experienced coder will support you by:
- Providing an acting encounter opportunity if you don’t have a pre-recorded work sample
- Listening to your work sample
- Identifying behavioral utterances and overall global values
- Developing a report describing the extent the conversation is consistent with current Motivational Interviewing concepts and skills
- Giving feedback directly to you during a coaching call
The MI Coding Lab is sponsored by C4 Innovations in partnership with Ali Hall, senior trainer and independent consultant.
The Motivational Interviewing Coding Lab includes four different, connected activities. To get started, choose the one that is right for you:
- Acting Encounter: Use a MI Coding Lab actor to conduct a conversation with you in a variety of contexts, including role- or real-play.
- Coding Work Samples: MI Coding Lab coders and coaches listen to your recorded work sample, provide a transcript (if requested), and code. Coders use either or both of the most established coding tools for supplying written feedback, applying current versions of the Motivational Interviewing Treatment Integrity (MITI) and the Motivational Interviewing Competency Assessment (MICA) models. The MITI is more focused on identifying behavioral utterances, and the MICA focuses on use of MI intentions and strategies within the conversation flow.
- Coaching Call: A coder facilitates a coaching session with you by phone to review coding feedback and discuss ways to become more skillful in MI.
- Transcription Services: A transcript of your recording can be created upon request to assist in coding and coaching process.
You can also share your own coding projects with the MI Coding Lab for independent fidelity checks or “double-coding” as well as comparative reports for your organization. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
Select an option in the series to get started!