MICA Manual V3.1
- Week 1
Week 1 Webcast: Fridays, June 2, 2023, from 12:00 – 1:30 PM ET
Webcast Recording: Week 1
Suspicious Smoker Video
Suspicious Smoker Uncoded Transcript
MICA Coding Feedback
The Confirmed Smoker Uncoded Transcript
Confirmed Smoker video
Week 1 Quiz
- Week 2
Week 2 Webcast: Fridays, June 9, 2023, from 12:00 – 1:30 PM ET
Webcast Week 2
Overuse of Following
Overuse of Following Uncoded Transcript
Overuse of Directing
Overuse of Directing Uncoded Transcript
Sentence Stem Coding Sheet
Sentence Stem Worksheet
Transcript for Coding/Coaching Sample
Week 2 Quiz
- Week 3
Week 3 Webcast: Fridays, June 16, 2023, from 12:00 – 1:30 PM ET
Webcast Recording Week 3
MICA Coding Feedback Form
The Rounder Video
The Rounder Uncoded Transcript
The Rounder Ratings & Counts
Week 3 Quiz
- Week 4
Week 4 Webcast: Fridays, June 23, 2023, from 12:00 – 1:30 PM ET
Webcast Recording: Week 4
Coding and Coaching Feedback Form
"Now I only wear yoga pants" audio
"Now I only wear yoga pants" uncoded transcript
"Now I only wear yoga pants" Ratings & Counts
Week 4 Quiz
- Week 5
Week 5 Webcast: Fridays, June 30, 2023, from 12:00 – 1:30 PM ET
Webcast Recording: Week 5
EXTRA CREDIT: VR Change Planning Video
EXTRA CREDIT: VR Change Planning Transcript
EXTRA CREDIT: VR Change Planning Video Ratings
Week 5 Quiz
- Final Assignment
MICA FINAL ASSIGNMENT: Due December 15, 2019
Listen to " Should I be Honest" audio
"Should I be honest" audio ratings & counts
Complete the Sentence Stem Worksheet
Complete the MICA Coding/Coaching form
- Course Wrap-Up
Using the Motivational Interviewing Competency Assessment (MICA): Spring 2023
This fast-paced, interactive course will introduce participants to the MICA and provide multiple practice opportunities to evaluate conversations along five MI intentions, two MI strategies, and two utterance categories. Participants will learn how to use the MICA for coaching purposes to help MI practitioners facilitate effective motivational conversations. Participants will engage in learning through webcasts, written materials, audio recordings, exercises, and practice opportunities.
The MICA was developed to assess competence in MI and provide a quality improvement process for practitioners to cultivate their use of MI intentions and strategies. The MICA allows coders, coaches and/or practitioners to form easily digestible, structured, specific feedback along the dimensions of the MI intentions and MI strategies. Unlike other coding tools, the language of the MICA is more directed to helping practitioners cultivate and express their MI intentions and is not as "utterance-focused." Instead, the MICA focuses on helping practitioners convey MI intentions and skills conversationally.
As a result of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Offer feedback to share MI skill development
- Evaluate conversations along seven different MI dimensions
- Identify specific MI skills in conversations
- June 2 – June 30, 2023
- 12:00 - 1:30 PM ET
- Location: Online Zoom meeting room
- Subject: Motivational Interviewing (MI), Coding and Coaching, MICA
- Practice level: Intermediate, advanced
- CE credit:
- ASWB: 7.5 hours
- NAADAC: 7.5 hours
- NBCC: 7.5 hours
- Course type: Live interactive webinar
- 75 minute weekly live webcasts
- Roughly 35 minutes of weekly home study activities
- Participants will participate in weekly live webinars with the instructors. They will also have access to weekly readings, videos, and other actives on the learning page. They will be quizzed on the knowledge they learn from the live webcasts and learning activities every week to ensure understanding.
- Covered topics: Motivational Interviewing, coding and coaching, change talk, sustain talk, technical and relational global measures, behavior counts, evidence-based practice, EBP
- Fees: $375 (unless a basic or advanced subscriber)
- Date created: 2022
Meet the Faculty:
Ali Hall (JD), is a member of the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT) and an independent consultant and trainer. Ali serves on the MINT Board of Directors, focusing on professional skill development for MI practitioners and trainers. She served as a Lead Trainer for the International MINT Training for New Trainers in New Orleans (2018) and Berlin (2015) and is serving as Lead Trainer in Warsaw 2019. Ali has designed and facilitated more than 2,500 Motivational Interviewing workshops for health care practitioners, behavioral health clinicians, psychologists, psychiatrists, and criminal/juvenile justice professionals, and provides training for trainers in evidence-based practices. She provide MI coding training, coding services, and skill development coaching as well as training for trainers in evidence-based practices. She also provides consultation to systems for establishing communities of practice and effective, sustainable MI implementation. Ali is the co-developer of the MICA.
Who Should Take this Course:
- Those who
- Have completed a recent introductory or advancing skills workshop in MI
- Want to improve their MI skills
- Want to help others improve their MI skills
- Are looking to strengthen an eventual application to the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT)
- Quality improvement and auditing professionals
- Key Leaders or Managers implementing MI
- Community of Practice leaders and members
System Technology Requirements:
Please ensure your viewing device complies with the following recommendations:
- Must be on a device that allows you to view MP4 files
- Ensure you have a strong enough internet speed to stream
- Ensure you don't have firewalls blocking the video (some firewalls block some HTTP addresses)
We will be using Zoom for the viewing of our live sessions. In order to have the best experience for Zoom, please download the application here: https://zoom.us.
Refund and Cancellation policy:
Access is automatically provided to this course once purchased. Therefore, no refund will be given. For special circumstances before the live sessions begin, C4 may cancel your registration and move your credit to another module of equal value or refund the course to the original source of payment.
Participants may earn a Certificate of Course Completion* by:
- Attending all five, live webcasts (or watching the entire recording of each live session)
- Completing all required learning activities
- Scoring 80% or higher on each weekly quiz
- Scoring 80% agreement on results of final assignment
- Completing the course evaluation form and the certificate request form
7.5 hours of continuing education credits will be awarded upon completion of this course through NAADAC. 7.5 hours of continuing education credits will be awarded upon completion of this course through NBCC and ASWB. Certificates will be emailed directly to requesting participants roughly two weeks after the successful completion of the final assignment.
*Please note that a certificate of completion is not a certification of proficiency in MI or MITI coding and coaching, and is not intended by C4 or the instructors to be represented as such. Currently, neither the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT) nor its members/contracting organizations can confer a certification of MI practitioner or coder competence or proficiency.
It is strongly recommended that you obtain additional resources following this course, including cultivating involvement in a skilled coding community, and identify a thoughtful protocol for establishing sustainable coding consistency prior to coding and coaching for the purposes of research and/or providing clinical supervision and coaching in the MI or MITI models.
If you need accommodations for disability, please contact Program Manager, Marsha Kubyshko at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to report a complaint, please contact Associate Director, Rachel Ehly at email@example.com.
C4 Innovations, Provider #1457, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. C4 Innovations maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 10/17/2020-10/17/2023. Social workers completing this course receive 7.5 continuing education credits.
C4 Innovations has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6576. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. C4 Innovations is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
This course has been approved by C4 Innovations, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #100990, C4 Innovations is responsible for all aspects of their programming.