About this course
Introduction to the MICA Course
MICA Manual V3.1
- Part I: Using the Motivational Interviewing Competency Assessment (MICA)
Introduction to Module One
MICA: Part One
MICA Quiz: Part One: Quiz One
MICA Quiz: Part One: Quiz Two
- Part II: Using the Motivational Interviewing Competency Assessment (MICA)
Introduction to Module Two
Confirmed Smoker Video
Confirmed Smoker Ratings Quiz
Confirmed Smoker Sentence Stem Quiz
MICA Quiz: Part Two: Quiz Three
MICA Quiz: Part Two: Quiz Four
- Part III: Using the Motivational Interviewing Competency Assessment (MICA)
Introduction to Module Three
Overuse of Directing Video
Overuse of Directing Quiz
Overuse of Directing Sentence Stem Quiz
Overuse of Following
Overuse of Following Ratings Quiz
Overuse of Following Sentence Stem Quiz
MICA Quiz: Part Three: Quiz Five
- Course Completion
Congratulations on Completion
Introduction to the Motivational Interviewing Competency Assessment (MICA)
System Technology Requirements
Please ensure your viewing device complies with the following recommendation:
- Must be on a device that allows you to view MP4 files
- Ensure you have a strong enough internet speed to stream
- Ensure you don't have firewalls blocking the video (some firewalls block some HTTP addresses)
Who should take this module:
- Frontline workers
This brief and informative self-paced course provides a valuable introduction to the MICA. In these three modules, you will experience an abbreviated MICA overview and an opportunity to apply MICA ratings and some micro-skill tags to three very straightforward motivational conversations in the smoking cessation context. You will have a chance to test your understanding of foundational MICA principles. Successful completion of this course will:
- Provide you an opportunity using the MICA to rate a recording at the higher end of motivational interviewing skill
- Provide you an opportunity using the MICA to rate a recording at the lower end of motivational interviewing skill
- Provide you an opportunity using the MICA to assign micro-skill codes (Reflection, Question, Not Coded) to sample utterances
- Provide you an opportunity to test your knowledge of the MICA manual, through quizzes
- Provide you an opportunity to build a foundation for learning more about using the MICA
- Identify ratings in higher skill level examples
- Identify ratings in lower skill level examples
- Evaluate your understanding of the MICA dimensions
Meet the authors:
Ali Hall, JD, is an independent consultant and trainer providing Motivational Interviewing (MI) coding training, coding services, and skill development coaching as well as training for trainers in evidence-based practices. She also provides consultation to systems for establishing communities of practice and effective, sustainable MI implementation. She is the co-developer of the Motivational Interviewing Competency Assessment (MICA) and serves on the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT) Board of Directors.
- Subject: Motivational Interviewing (MI), Coding and Coaching
- Length: Most can complete in 1.5 hours
- CE credit: 1.5
- Course type: Asynchronous, home study
- Participants will watch pre-recorded videos and be quizzed on the knowledge they learn afterwards
- Content level: Introductory
- Covered topics: Motivational Interviewing (MI), Motivational Interviewing Competency Assessment (MICA), Coding and Coaching
- Fees: $160 (unless a basic or advanced subscriber)
- Date created: 2019
Refund and Cancellation policy:
Access is automatically provided to this module once purchased. Therefore, no refund will be given. For special circumstances, C4 may cancel your registration and move your credit to another module of equal value.
If you need accommodations for disability, please contact Program Manager, Marsha Kubyshko at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions? Concerns? Email us at email@example.com.
In order to fully complete this module and receive a continuing education certificate from one of the following boards, 100% of the posttest questions must be answered correctly (you will have unlimited retests) along with the final evaluation. The required posttest questions will be at the end of each section and the required evaluation will be provided at the completion of the module. Upon successful completion of this module, a certificate will automatically appear on your screen for you to download in PDF format. You will also be able to access your profile on the learning management system at any time to view or print your certificate at a later date. If you are social worker, you will need to write in your license number in the noted space on the certificate.
C4 Innovations, Provider #1457, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. C4 Innovations maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 10/17/2020 to 10/17/2023. Social workers completing this course receive 1.5 continuing education credits.
C4 Innovates has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6576. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. C4 Innovates is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
This course has been approved by C4 Innovates, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #100990, C4 Innovates is responsible for all aspects of their programing.