A skilled and experienced coder can:
- Provide an acting encounter opportunity if you don’t have a pre-recorded work sample
- Listen to your work sample
- Identify behavioral utterances and overall global values
- Develop a report describing the extent to which the conversation is consistent with current Motivational Interviewing concepts and skills
- Give feedback directly to you during a coaching call
The MI Coding Lab is sponsored by C4 Innovations in partnership with Ali Hall.
C4’s Coding Lab includes four different, connected activities. Choose the one that is right for you to get started:
- Acting Encounter: Using an actor to conduct a conversation in a variety of contexts, using role- or real-play.
- Coding Work Samples: Coders and coaches listen to a recorded work sample, provide a transcript (if requested), and code.
- Coaching Call: A coder will facilitate a telephonic coaching session, to review the coding feedback with you and discuss ways to become more skillful in MI.
- Transcription Services: A transcript of your recording can be created upon request to assist in the coding and coaching process.
Coders use either or both of the most established coding tools for supplying written feedback, applying current versions of the Motivational Interviewing Treatment Integrity (MITI) and Motivational Interviewing Competency Assessment (MICA) models. The MITI is more focused on identifying behavioral utterance, and the MICA focuses on use of MI intentions and strategies within the conversation flow.
The Coding Lab can also provide your own coding projects with independent fidelity checks or “double-coding” as well as comparative reports for your organization.